Phase 1 (1958 to 1962)
The unit was known as Clatterbridge Hospital West - Radiotherapy Unit. It consisted of a purpose-built treatment unit containing the Mullard 4 Mev linear accelerator with planning and dose calculation facilities, as well as three wards, an operating theatre, a physics workshop, mould room and medical records office. The linear accelerator was up and running by early 1959 and treated between 60 and 80 patients a day.
In all, 70 patient beds were available in three wards, the Dee, Weaver and Mersey. All three wards, along with other services such as the theatre and the outpatients’ clinic, scientific and technical services and secretarial support, were housed within converted military huts.